Saturday, October 9, 2010

Introduction: Games and Art

Hey all, and welcome to my blog. I intend to use this space to analyze, document, and hopefully discuss the relationship that video games have with the wide world of art. That being said, I'd like to write a bit about myself and some of what I've noticed about the relationship between art and video games.

I've been an admirer of both for as long as I can remember. I've been playing games since I was very young, which I don't believe needs much more explanation, but I was also an active member of the art website DeviantArt at one time, participating avidly in analysis and contributing on many occasions. While the website does have a somewhat poor reputation, there's still a lot of quality work that appears if one is willing to look deep enough.  However there were still pieces that, even though not done by a professional, told a story and displayed great attention to detail. One of the beautiful things about art is that it can be found in even the most unsuspected places.

Not all video games are created equal, much like how art on DeviantArt varies from the breath-taking to the absurd, and even how movies can vary between a cliché soaked B movie and a film that moves you or makes you reevaluate your own life. What I intend to do with this blog is analyze games on a case-by-case basis, and bring to light the art that lies within. While you might compare this to a review, and I would agree with you, there is a fundamental difference: most video game reviews are done with the intention of presenting enough information to a consumer, so he or she may make an educated decision on whether they want to purchase the game, and mostly for its entertainment value. There are no shortage of such video game reviews, and I doubt you would have any problem locating any of the most popular video game magazines and/or websites that offer them en masse. What I intend to write does not apply to all video games, so you may not find information on a new one here, and also, I feel obligated to say, just because a game has a great artistic angle, that won't automatically mean that it's a fun game to play (though it is beautiful when the two things come together!).

I have two aims in this endeavor: One, to prove to naysayers that art does exist in video games, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and that it exists in even the most subtle of ways. As for number two, I want to interpret this art to people who do not play video games, and who may never pick one up in their lives. It is much harder for someone who is interested in art to walk into a museum or movie theater than it is for that person to pick up and play a video game. Video games are hard, each being composed of unique elements the player must adapt to and overcome, the most basic of which is learning to move and interact in the game world. One of the beautiful things about games in general is the sense of accomplishment and victory that we get from them, which is something that can be found in sports or board games alike. We overcome the odds and come out victorious. Games of all sorts are intrinsic to our culture, and I believe that even if you don't play video games, the quality that some games have, when you combine music, artistic design, gameplay design, story, and cinematics, is something that any person could appreciate.

I know very little about blogging, but I'll be doing my best to post my "reviews" and participate the the spheres and whatnot. Thanks for reading, and come back again soon!

1 comment:

  1. If you game as you write you have my vote for the best story teller ever. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete